The cold weather is slowly but surely starting to creep in….Why not warm up with this heart-healthy Bean Curry!
2 tablespoons olive oil or 1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large white onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry lentils
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 can crushed tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1 butternut squash – cubed
1/2 cup raisins
Season with salt and pepper
Add chilli if you like hot curry
1. First boil the lentils. – ½ cup lentils to 1 ½ cups water. Boil for 15 minutes while preparing ingredients.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender.
3. Once cooked, mix in the lentils and garlic, and season with curry powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
4. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, chickpeas, butter beans, butternut squash and raisins.
5. Season with salt and pepper and chilli (optional)
6. Cook until the butternut squash is cooked.
6. Add spinach in last minute of cooking.
Serve with brown rice.